Saturday, July 4, 2015

Nature Journal Entries - June 24,25 &30

click image to enlarge

I'm still using the calligraphy pen and the Pentel Pocket Brush Pen and enjoying their bold, expressive black lines, combined with my QoR watercolors on the creamy and textured Gutenberg paper. 
click image to enlarge
I've missed a few days outside due either to weather or simply needing time inside to complete some other projects. More than ever I realize how much I need time out in the woods. I'm reading TA Mann's book The Sacred Language of Trees and finding so much wisdom, affirmation and inspiration there. 
click image to enlarge

I'm also coming to the full realization that my routine ( and you might read ritual here) of going out to the pond each day, praying, observing and sketching is actually a true spiritual practice. I always thought it was, but never down to my bones, and so I never declared it to be so out loud or in writing. But now I see that it is.
click image to enlarge
Now I'm thinking that my little sacred grove of trees and my sacred pond (yes, I'm going to call them that from now on) might need an outdoor shrine or alter in addition to the benches I've already placed there. 
click image to enlarge
The first thing I think I might do is Gelli print some fabric and cut prayer flags or some simple strips of cloth to tie on to the trees as an act of prayer.  Similar to what they do around holy wells in Ireland, like this...



click image to enlarge
It's really amazing to me how the simple, primal one might even say, act of sitting quietly in nature transforms a person.  Someday maybe I'll find a vocabulary of words that can adequately communicate my experiences. Until then I'll continue to sit in silence and draw as my primary way to record what is a sacred, and transformative experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! It makes me Happy!