Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Altered Book Project Update

click image to enlarge
This is one of my favorite entries in the altered book project that I'm working on.  For more about this project check out this earlier post .  I'm having such a great time working intuitively, and mixing up all kinds of media. Above includes a round Gelli mono-print, textured patterns, stencils (both purchased and original designs) plus a copy of an original sketch. 

click image to enlarge
There are all kinds of interesting images and combinations that present themselves when I give myself the freedom to  use anything and everything at hand. 

click image to enlarge
I'm also really enjoying my new Brother Scan n' Cut machine which allows me to create cut outs,stencils and masks from my own original art and designs. Very fun! 

Keep scrolling down to see many of my recent mixed media entries in my altered book art journal.

click image to enlarge
This one incorporates a Gelli print background on deli paper and original sketches done with a Faber Castell brush tip pen. 

click image enlarge
The odd time when I use a cut out of a photograph from a magazine.

click image to enlarge
Here's an example of the Scan n' Cut allowing me to take my original sketches of the female figures and scan them into the Scan n' Cut and have them cut out from papers that I created mono-prints on with the Gelli plate. Also, the Scan n' Cut allows me to re-size my sketches and cut them in multiple sizes even joining several figures together into one larger complex shape. Didn't I tell you this was fun! 


click  image to enlarge
This layout includes using Distress spray inks, another whole world of possibilities that I'm discovering.

click image to enlarge
Scan n' Cut also gives you access to a number of fonts so you can cut out lettering or make stencils.  These I cut out from Gelli printed papers I had made. The colorful fish (shad) were scanned from my sketchbook and re-sized and then cut out using the Scan n' Cut.

click image enlarge
More fun with the Scan n' Cut, scanning in an original iris sketch, re-sizing and cutting it out, then scanning it again and cutting out the lettering and flower shapes from the sketch.

click image to enlarge
Here I traced around two original bison sketches from a zoo trip leaving a border and then cutting them out using the Scan n' Cut. Next I used those shapes which Scan n' Cut can store and cut multiple bison shapes out of deli paper that had been Gelli printed. The background, (and all the backgrounds in this series of pages) are deli paper printed using a Gelli plate and glued into the book.

I'm almost half way through my altered book and excited by the directions this project had taken me and eager to see where the second half of the book will go! 

1 comment:

Please leave a comment! It makes me Happy!