Friday, March 27, 2015

Watching and Sketching the Seasons Change

click image to enlarge

`
Winter seems to drag on and on. This year February has been a veritable mini ice age for us in the northeast.  All these sketches are my attempts to deal with the struggle of so much snow, such bitter cold temperatures, the lack of sunlight and being cooped up in the house. I really think I'd go crazy if I couldn't sketch my way through this season.

click image to enlarge

click image to enlarge
Documenting each day's weather, its colors, the almost imperceptible changes, is one way I stay hopeful through dark winter times.


click image to enlarge

As I write this post, we are now at the very tail end of March. There is still snow on the ground, though it is receding.  Yet, snow is predicted for tomorrow. So March may also go out the same way it came in, like a lion.

click image to enlarge

click image to enlarge

The views from the various windows in the house are repeated over and over again in my winter sketches.  That's a good thing and an interesting thing. The more times I sketch those views the more I push the envelope trying to find something of interest in a very familiar scene.

click image to enlarge

Winter's gifts are often hard to appreciate, hard to understand and even hard to perceive when they are given.  As the spring begins to bud, ever so tentatively, but insistently I'm reflecting on what this winter has given me. Looking back through last month's sketches is a way that I do that. I hope you've enjoyed looking back with me and watching the seasons change.






1 comment:

Please leave a comment! It makes me Happy!