Wednesday, April 8, 2015

IFJM 2015 Day 8

click to enlarge
Today we meet Mavis' greyhounds Gemma, Doc and little Lizzy the Italian. Considering how important they are to her it's surprising that we haven't met them until now but Mavis has a lot of things on her mind lately. Death, for one. We also get a glimpse of Mavis from 1955, when she was 19.  Mavis fiddled around with that drawing trying to get the hat exactly right and she wore a whole in the paper, but she had some document tape to fix it. At this age Mavis knows that in life it is often best just to patch things up and move on. 

Mavis writes... April 8, 2015 12:00 noon  I've been walking in the woods lately - hunting for any small sign of spring's green-ness. There is skunk cabbage by the stream and moss on stones and stumps, particularly near vernal pools, is exceedingly green. This natural renewal of life after the icy death sleep of winter encourages me. How many years do I have left? Ten ? Five? At seventy-nine one must think in single digits I fear. Fear? Do I fear? Is death so fearful? Here I will quote Gore Vidal..." The idea of a good society is something you do not need a religion and eternal punishment to buttress; you need a religion if you are terrified of death. And so perhaps I need a religion since I AM terrified of death. I would like to say with J.M. Barrie "To die will be an awfully big adventure".

Today's Tea: Jasmine Dragon Ball,  Long zhu mo li hua lu cha

Gemma -  Lizzy -  Doc

1955 with my first greyhound, Suzie

One thing I definitely believe in, the goodness of a dog. Their unconditional love and loyalty has saved me many times. Does this reflect their creator? I want to say yes.

Materials: acrylic paint,  purchased stencil, hand made stamp, gouache, Faber Castell Pitt Artists Brush Pens, Tradio Stylo pen, sharpies, document repair tape.




2 comments:

  1. A wonderful post and SO enjoying Mavis. It is no surprise to me that she loves her greyhounds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so loving your journal Jan!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! It makes me Happy!