Sunday, March 29, 2015

Sketching The Dogs


click image to enlarge

I love animals and I especially love dogs. I'll never be without at least one in my life.  Dogs are so incredibly faithful, loyal and loving. They bring joy and goodness to your life, enriching your days and blessing your soul.  So, in many ways dogs are like sketching which also brings joy and goodness to my life, enriching my days and blessing my soul.  Thus sketching my dogs is a doubly good experience. Above is Quinn sketched with a Platinum Carbon fountain pen. It's my favorite pen above all my other fountains pens that cost many times more. Sometimes the simplicity of black and white and the rhythmic laying down of cross hatched lines is a wonderful way to sketch.

click image to enlarge

Here's Molly in three views, also sketched with a Platinum, Carbon fountain pen but this time using Platinum Mix Free ink in Brown Earth. This ink unlike the black used for Quinn above is water soluble and allows me to go in with a wet brush to create tonal washes.

click image to enlarge



Quinn sleeping on the sun-room sofa captured using a Pentel Pocket Brush Pen and QoR watercolors.

click to enlarge

Molly and Quinn together, sleeping on the rug in the studio. Pets also make wonderful models. I have hundreds of sketches of our various pets from over the years. Dogs, Chip, Dale, Maggie, and rabbits Marshmallow and Rosie, guinea pig, Butterscotch and turtle Shelly.  Not only are they always available but you can sketch them while they're sleeping or in action. It's great drawing practice, but more than that it's a way to honor them and keep them with you even after they pass. Losing a beloved pet is a heartbreaking thing but intimate sketches drawn over years memorializes them and anchors them in your heart and mind far better than a photograph ever will.

click image to enlarge

click image to enlarge


Quinn is young, not yet a year and joined our family in November 2014, at just six months old. He's quite a clown and very much my companion, always at my side. 

Click image to enlarge

Molly is just a bit over two and joined us in December of 2013 when she was 15 months old. She was a rescue, a cause that we most definitely support. She is a consummate watch dog, so even when she is sleeping she is usually sprawled out in front of a door or entry way, guarding us even in her sleep. This sketch was done on top of a mono-print, created with a Gelli plate, and framed with japanese washi tape.

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

This has been a very cold, snowy winter and I've been forced to find creative and challenging ways to sketch primarily indoors. So an exploration into mono-printing rich, colorful and textural backgrounds has been something that's interested me lately.

Winter certainly curtails my ability to get outside into nature to sketch and as much as I bemoan that fact, I do find that, the limitation of having to stay indoors pushes me to find other ways to engage my creativity and my world. Whether that's trips to museums, flower shows, cafes, shopping malls and other indoor venues to sketch or exploring new approaches, materials and tools as above, the winter can be a rich time of discovering new things in my sketchbook. That said....I'm still very much looking forward to getting back outside to sketch!!






1 comment:

  1. This is a lovely post. The variety of the materials is amazing -- my favorites are the first, third and fourth.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! It makes me Happy!